Thursday 24 November 2011

CAGED BIRD SINGS

I often stared at the caged bird with much pity
It reminded me of the villager
Who never made its way to the city
Behind thin iron bars
On a sill I watched it sit still
It had never once occurred to me
The feathered one remained caged at will.
I could not conceive what joy it could bring
And to me it began to sing:


Many mornings greet me
Sky changeless, clear and blue
But from the old I learnt to create a new
I have become the master of my view.
Contrary to common theory
I do not abide in the company of freedom melodies
No time lost in envy of the purported free
Drifting with wings broken by fears and troubles
That stand more incarcerating than these bars around me.
My mind is poised nevertheless untamed
My soul at liberty to soar the highest heavens
To see it all named and unnamed.
No need to cry for me
My freedom rests within
With contentment I've found my voice
This bird will forever sing.


How absurd!
I had thought it must be
To live life free yet unfree
Until I caught myself singing word for word
To the symphony of the caged bird.


















1 comment: