Thursday 29 September 2011

IN LOVING MEMORY OF WALEED F. HELWANI

Death does not speak my language
But I believe tears are universal.
So why then do I keep screaming and wailing
Till my body's aching and failing
I'm a child once again, throwing tantrums
Hearing my heart beat through my ears like wild drums
Yet my brother responds not to my call?

The image I grew accustomed to
Has all too soon been depressed to a blotch
The unforeseen stranger stole from our hearts and our homes
And all we could do was watch.

I wish I could speak death's tongue
So I could plead for second, third and perhaps even fourth chances
So I could translate into it the grievances
Of the old and the young
The large, the little
The weak and the strong.
I wish I could offer it all; these possessions
These earthly obsessions
And all I do not lack
So maybe, just maybe oblivion could bring him back.

I take reluctant steps into reality
Greeted by 4-sided murals of spoken words and deeds;
Portraits of days past stamped with authenticity
An array of memories intertwined with eternity.
Still I stand before flashbacks when it begins to dawn
Art remains art even after the painter's gone.

6 comments:

  1. That's Incredible. You made my heart smile and Im sure waleed will concur. keep his memory alive because like you said "art remains art even after the painter is gone". God bless you for your spoken words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have your way with words Nessa,Impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waleed lives on in our hearts 4eva and people like you will forever be there to remind us of how much we miss him. Thx girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. "art remains art even after the painter is gone".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss you Welle, but small time we meet again.

    ReplyDelete