Monday 26 September 2011

MY HAIR SPEAKS

My hair speaks in volumes
Its not your everyday crowd pleaser yet it commands and moves rooms
My hair is loudmouthed and multi-lingual, its speech is free
I am more than the rebellious strands on my head, my hair is a part of me.

We are suppressed in our own home by strangers we ourselves welcomed in
Ignorance breeds complacency stealing our beauty from within
You mean I must burn and scathe my scalp just so I can be accepted
By this so-called society that in itself is lost and dejected?

Don't get me wrong I don't judge your choice
White cream to you is the 'good' easy way
I'm just saying my hair has a voice
What does your hair say?

I am like these twists and snap-back curls
I'm stubborn in my ways, mother says I'm daddy's girl
These knots and locks are a reminder to keep it real
That matters more to me than how it makes you feel

What you see is what you get, I am that natural
I've got my mic and lyrics, my hair's like the instrumental
My hair is symbolic, I flaunt this look to show off my pride
It's expressive, a sneak peek of who I am inside.

I'm nappy and kinky
Be that as it may,
My hair has a voice
What does your hair say?
  

2 comments: